Sunday, August 19, 2007

Day 8

Today is Saturday and the hop is an hour shorter than the weekdays, only 10 AM to 5PM. The day will start in Brainerd and head back to St Cloud and to the Cities


First shop is Country Fabrics, Quilts and Collectibles. This shop is open at 9:30 on Saturday, so I get an early start. Parking is in the back and fabrics are on the main floor. Antiques and collectibles are upstairs. This shop also sells sewing machines. I know that I have been to many other shops on the hop that sell machines, and never made mention of that fact. I am not looking for a machine at the moment, and certainly not on a shop hop, so I have not been paying much attention. This shop has a nice mix of fabrics and lots of batiks.

The 2nd shop in Brainerd is Colorz for Quilts. This is a smaller shop with a more artsy feel, Many nice kits and lots of patterns for non-traditional quilts. Parking around the back here, too. Brights, batiks and interesting samples. That finishes the Northwestern section.

On the road to Country Caboose in Wahkon. This is a small shop, quite crowded, with the fabric and patterns and a quilting machine. I find a charm pack of batiks, the shop cuts their own, Nice idea, given the number of charm packs and the numerous pattern available for charms. Nice number of sales fabrics. This shop has a range of fabrics, but not a lot of room to view them. This shop complete my second section, the Northeastern one.

The next shop is Cole's Country Treasures Quilt Shop in Princeton. This shop is on the lower level of a store. A nice selection of fabrics and is shop #3 in the hop that has fabric with a bowling theme. I had no idea that this fabric would be so hard to find. Lots of samples, especially small items, and kits available.

Next is Quilts on Broadway in Foley. This is a tiny shop, but has a great selection of Jenny Beyer fabrics. Nice samples on display. They had ice cream, what a great idea for a hot day! The lime sherbet hit the spot.

On to a shop in the county, Bound in Stitches Quilt Village in Sauk Rapids. Unfortunately, I arrived at this very small shop the same time as several other hoppers, so not much room. I thought that the owner was rather rude. The shop had some very nice small sample quilts up. The selection of fabrics is limited by the size of the shop.

Monticello and Little Mountain Quilt Shop is next on the trip. This is a cute little shop. Has quite a variety of Quilt in a Box small quilts. These are patterns and fabric in a box about the size of a small Chinese take-out box. Cute idea.

Quilt N Stitch in Buffalo is another small shop. Had some interesting fabrics that I have not seen elsewhere. Found a couple of batik fat quarters to add to the stash. Shop is crowded because of small size.

Quilted Treasures of Rogers is a little hard to find, my GPS had me on the wrong side of the road at first. This is a very nice shop with some spectacular sample quilts. Lots of batiks, this seems to be a very popular type of fabrics in all of the shops. I think that I would like to take some pictures in the stores if I every do this again.

Elk River is the next stop, Cottage Quilts and Fabrics. This is a larger shop, with a nice classroom. Large selection of fabrics, lots of great sample quilts for inspiration. Plenty of room and fabrics are displayed well.

The last stop of the day is Bardella Fabric Arts, Inc, in Anoka. This is a very nice shop with more of an arty style. Lots of nice samples. I think that this might be a great place to go to get some ideas when you feel like you are in a rut and need something new and different. My son and fiancée live close by so it wouldn't be much of a trip.

Well, a full day. I plan to attempt to finish the rest of the Metro section tomorrow. It will be a push, to get to 10 shops in 5 hours. I have been at all of the shops with the exception of 2 in the past, so know the store layouts better.


No comments: