Monday, June 4, 2012

All Iowa Quilt Shop Hop - Day 3

Sunday, on the hop, is a short day for shopping, only 5 hours. So, that means, that I will need to pay attention to what I am doing and get some driving in. The day started cloudy and dreary which persisted until the very end of the day when we did get a little sun, showers off and on all afternoon.

Forgot to take photos at the first two shops, so sorry, will go back and get them later as they are close to home. My camera which was acting up, started working again for a short period of time after I accidentally dropped it on my kitchen floor. Evidently 'restart your camera' is shorthand for drop it on the floor. It only worked for a couple of pictures and then I was back to the phone again.

The first stop today was at Larson's Mercantile in Clear Lake. The store is exactly was it says, has little of everything: fabric, sewing and knitting supplies, quilt blocks to embroider, toys for the kids, jewelry, you name it. They have a large stock of Moda marbles and some flat fold fabrics as well. The annual flower are arranged around the outside of the building and some of the hanging baskets were buy one, get one. Will need to come back after the trip to get some flowers for the patio.

Posh Fibers is a very small shop in the basement of a home in Mason City. They also have fabric and kits in the garage as well for this hop. A mix of fabrics, lots of kits. Did see a new fabric in gray, pink and black that has line drawing pictures very reminiscent of Tim Burton illustrations. This is Halloween fabric.

The next stop is a way down the road at Waverly, Moose Patch Quilt Shop. Iowa is not really know for their moose, so this is kind of a novelty. They have a wide array of fabrics and have some very nice displays, including a quilt on a bed (not something you see in shops often). Shop is very quiet, especially after the bustle at the shop in Mason City.

Crazy to Quilt is the shop in Cedar Falls. I have been here many times, my dear daughters went to school at the University of Northern Iowa (Go Panthers), so I spent a fair amount of time here, off and on. The shop is very busy, compared to some that I have been at. This shop has lots of batiks, good representation of large florals and reproductions. They also have lots of great samples made up for inspiration. I did find a charm pack of coordinates for the panel that I had purchased at Carroll on Friday.

The weather is actually starting to look kind of ominous with lots of dark clouds as I travel to rural Jesup and Merry's Stitchins. It has been a while since I have been to this shop and they have a new building! It is beautiful! The shop is large and open and has a great classroom and lots of samples made up. Lots of fabrics and kits. The previous shop was small and cramped, so this is wonderful.

I have just enough time to get to the shop in Oelwein, Lou Ann's Quilt Garden and Retreat and breeze in with about 10 minutes to spare. It is really good that there are no constables patrolling the back roads today! This is a smallish shop with a retreat area next door. Nice selection of fabrics.


The next stop would be Elkader and The Back Stitch but I will be there after the shop closes. I did drive to Elkader and spent the night at Elkader Bed and Breakfast. Had a restful night and a wonderful breakfast, highly recommend that you give it a try. Here are pictures of the Queen Ann Victorian and my room.



My room and bath!

What luxury!

Well, time to hit the road for another day. I expect to be near Iowa City by tonight.

No comments: