Friday, July 29, 2011

Minnesota State Quilt Shop Hop version 5



Well, Minnesota quilt shop hop starts again. I have been asked by my niece if I am planning to blog again this year. I do think that will be a little easier since I am now able to dictate my notes instead of typing. I am an extremely slow typist.

I started my trip this year at a new shop in Anoka, Minnesota. This is the first year that Millie P's is on the shop hop. It is kind of fun to be able to start the Minnesota shop hop at a brand-new shop. This shop had a really cute area display of items made with Minnesota State shop hop fabric. They also had quite a few very nice samples and displays. I do think that it helps to see a sample pattern constructed. Even if you don't use the same fabrics, it still gives you a good idea of what you can do with your fabric.



In addition the shop is next door to a small coffee House and across the street from an antique shop. This new shop is on Anoka's Main Street. And it is quite easy to find.


The next shop on the hop is Fat Quarter Quilting in Coon Rapids, Minnesota. This shop moved to a larger space in the same shopping mall last year. They have an excellent display of batiks, and I am able to find a border fabric that I have on my list. This year I decided to be a little more organized, and made a list of various fabrics, patterns, etc. that I was looking for, so that I had a better idea of what I needed. Unfortunately, the computer at the store was not working properly and they were unable to take my credit card. Lucky for me, I had some cash on hand to spend today.

I have a couple of options at this point. I can go to Rush City so that I can finish all of the shops in the Central East section, or I can skip Rush City and go the shop in Blaine. The decision will be made on time. I will have to take nearly 2 hours for a round trip to Rush City, so on to Blaine it is.

The Calla Lily Quilt Shop and Gifts is a smaller shop on the hop. They always have some nice samples made of the hop fabric. The quilts that they have this year are the pattern Sidelights and a pattern by a shop designer. I did try to get some photos but couldn't


The two shops in White Bear Lake are next. Parking here is always interesting, as there is a huge farmer's market in the downtown area as well. Too bad I don't live closer, I would really like to get some of this produce.

Rosebud's Cottage is the first of the shops that I go to, simply because I can park the closest. This shop has a lot of crafting items as well, including some vintage bottle caps! They have lots of small project made with the shop hop fabric kitted. Unfortunately, I also am here with a bus! Lots and lots of people.


Walking down the street and past the farmer's market, I arrive at Bear Patch Quilting Co. This shop always seems to have some great samples made from the Minnesota fabrics, and this year does not disappoint. Several cute 'non-quilty' sample like aprons are among the offerings. This shop has a wide range of fabric, lots of batiks and sells sewing machines.






It is almost time for lunch. There is a great little bakery and deli just around the corner from Charlotte's Quilting Web. This shop always seems to have a lot of sale fabric, so if you're looking for bargains for backs, there you go. This shop is much quieter, no buses.

Stop for lunch, but forget the cord to download pictures in the van! That will have to wait for later. I have been checking in with Foursquare. So far the day is going a little slower than I had planned, but no worries, it is vacation and I am really trying to not stress so much. I get enough of that every day!

No comments: