Friday, July 29, 2011

The first afternoon




There never seems to be a really good way to do this hop without doing a lot of backtracking. I need to take into account which of the shops close later, so that I don't waste time doing them early in the day. The first year that the shop hop was done in 2007, the passport had the hours printed on it and that was very helpful. It also was several pages long and I was always worried that I would forget or lose one of the pages!

That being said, the next shop in Glad Creations. This shop had numerous kits that feature the Glad Creations patterns. I really like scrappy quilts and these really fit that idea. The shop is pretty crowded, the upstairs is roomy and quiet and has lots and lots of sample quilts. All the sale fabric is upstairs. The also have a great selection of thimbles for those of us who do handwork.


I thought that a quilt at the beginning of each post might be kind of fun. I did manage to get a few quilts actually finished this year. A guild show has a tendency to focus the mind a little. I had also thought that I would be able to get a few more pictures of Minnesota fabric projects, but I am getting some funny looks when I ask if I can photograph.

More backtracking. First I go west and then back east in order to go south, sounds like fun right. Thank goodness for GPS devices. I did get a new one this year, but even it doesn't have some of the addresses.

The Quilt Cove is one of the places that the GPS can't find. This shop is overflowing with fabric. There is fabric on shelves and tables and all over the floor. The have a nice notions wall and I pick up a magnetic quilt hanger. I really want to give this a try, I have lots of wall hangings and they are of various sizes, so I would like to see if this will work to help me get some of them hung up and displayed.


Rosemount is the next shop. Quilter's Haven is in new digs. This shop seems to be moving up and down the street since I was first here several years ago. The new shop's signage is not very easy to see from 146th St. and it is easy to miss. The new store is very nice, with lots of garment samples to enjoy. New place is also larger (or at least it seems larger to me) and displays are easy to see and walk around.


I am off to another shop that is not on the GPS! What is the deal? You would think that for as much as you spend on those things that they would be able to find a needle in a haystack. Oh well. Fabric Town is the place to be if you are into Civil War reproduction fabrics. Of course, they have a lot of other things, but an extensive selection of repros. They have a very nice display of the items made with the hop fabric as well.


Now off to the west side of the cities. Eagle Creek Quilt Shop is in an old depot. The display quilt with the MN fabrics looks like a great scrap quilt. No pattern or directions yet, will be looking forward to those. I really love quilts were you can use up a lot of 'leftovers'. This shop also has some nice landscaping. They are also offering smocking classes. Haven't seen much of that since I left southern Kansas.


My GPS finally(!!!) came through for me. I was able to get to Waconia and the Heavenly Patchwork Quilt shop in record time on a road with almost no traffic after 3 PM on a Friday. How's that for good, Very friendly shop, I am greeted as soon as I walk in the door. Lots of samples and patterns and the shop also sells sewing machines. This shop is worth the drive.
Sorry, forgot the picture.


Backtracking, again! I arrive at the Blue Bamboo just as everyone is leaving. They are nice enough to open the store up and stamp my passport. Thanks! I do need to stop back because I am looking for a couple of batiks, and this store probably has the most of any that I have seen. They also carry a lot of oriental fabrics and do a large mail-order business.

The only other store on the northwest side of Minneapolis/St. Paul that is open late today is Cottage Quilts and Fabrics in Elk River. Lots of different kinds of fabrics, they always have a cute display of baby quilts. This shop has a very nice classroom area. Guess that I am really getting tired because I drive off and forget to get a picture of the shop and it's new sign. Sorry 'bout that folks.




No comments: