Saturday, July 31, 2010

2010 MN Shop Hop Day 1, Part 2


2010 MN Shop Hop Day 1, Part 2

The afternoon of 7/30 starts at Quilt Cove in Eagan. This store has lots of fabric but needs more space. A lot of the fabric is sitting on the floor and is therefore hard to see. They have a great notions wall!


The next stop is Quilter's Haven. This store in Rosemont has a nice space and lots of room, They also sell Bernina sewing machines. They also have several samples made up with the shop hop fabrics including a quilt as you go bag by G.E. Designs from the Fast and Furious book. This looks like a quick project and is a good sized tote.



On to Fabric Town in Apple Valley. This is another shop that my Garmin GPS can't find and I am not going to spend $199 to upgrade. For that kind of money, I could buy a new GPS. This shop has a Cher song on the sound system and we are singing along. Is there a better way to spend an afternoon? This shop has nice displays and isn't too crowded. One does not feel like you are tripping over bolts of fabric to get to the one thing that you want.


The next stop on the list is Eagle Creek Quilt Shop in Shakopee. This shop is fun inside and out. They have a lot of flowers and bushes around the shop, which is an old depot. Inside is a great selection of fabrics, including a large selection of oilcloth (vinyl covered fabric). Lots and lots of wool and batiks.





Sorry that the pictures weren't much better, but it was starting to mist. This misty/drizzly/messy stuff continued the rest of the day.


The next shop is the furthest west of all of the shops today. Heavenly Patchwork Quilt Shop is in Wachonia. This shop is owned by the mother of the designer for This and That patterns and Sherri has designed a special quilt for the shop hop. This shop has expanded in size since my last visit during the last shop hop. This shop is worth the drive!


Now back to the main metro area and to the The Sampler quit shop in Chanhassen. This shop has more contemporary fabric lines. This shop is also a Bernina dealership. They also carry rayons, corduroy and other unusual fabrics.



The weather is slowly getting wetter and it is getting close to 6 PM. I will not be able to get to the shops in Rogers and Elk River today. The last stop today will be Blue Bamboo in Plymouth. This shop has a huge selection of oriental, batik and contemporary fabrics. I would like to compliment the store on their update! Everything is organized, on shelves and easy to see. I am able to find the Judy Neimeyer quilt pattern that a friend asked me to look for. I also get the last charm for my necklace.


I decided to put split rings on the necklace to make it easier to put the charms on as I received them. This really helps keep me from loosing them as I collect them. 14 shops today, not a bad day's work. I do think that if I do this next year, I may do the route in reverse as think that I could get to more shops that way. A big thank you to all of the shops that were open early and late as they made this long day possible!




No comments: